Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Flog = Food Log

My next attempt at dieting incorporates my biggest motivator - the fear of failing in a public forum. Therefore, I will keep a public record of my weight, my feelings about food, exercise, and perhaps most important, the food I put in my body. That way, when I complain about my pants fitting too tightly, you can refer to the Chicken Fried Steak I ate on Day X and tell me to shut up.

The last few months have been horrible with respect to food. We began looking for houses in February, which is when I went on a diet of the cheapest things available - frozen burritos and Ramen so that the new house payment would be more feasible. Then, when the move proper began, who had time to zap something in the microwave? My relationship with food resembled the movie Super Size Me, except I ate at two or three different restaurants a day instead of just McDonald's. I stopped taking my long walks at lunch -- I was spending all of my time at home either packing, cleaning, or unpacking, so why not unwind with a Chicken Tender meal at Sonic during my lunch hour?

I'm pleased to say that my long walks at lunch have resumed and I'm eating healthier generally - just still too much. Hopefully the pain of having to log everything I eat will discourage some of the late night trips to the kitchen for cheese and crackers or Nutty Bars. I pledge to be honest and complete.

My goal is 140, which is the point where my BMI calculation is Normal rather than Overweight. I'm not obsessed with body image at all - People don't have to be stick thin to be beautiful. I'm just trying to avoid expensive health problems from arising in the future, such as diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.

Day One - May 22, 2007
Weight - 154.5

Breakfast: Weight control oatmeal, with a generous layer of brown sugar (this can be scaled back)

At my desk at work: 1.5 oz. box of Raisins, Maruchan Instant Lunch (cup o' soup -- about 290 calories but lots of sodium and fat), 6oz. can of pineapple/banana/orange juice

At home at the kitchen table: slice of salami with two pieces of toast

At home in front of the TV: 8 oz. of vegetable juice

That wasn't so bad -- About 1000 calories and no starving

I also was inspired by my friend R.B. to resume strength training -- I pulled out the Bowflex and used some light weight. I pulled my neck really bad last spring using it and since then I've been shy on it, so I'll be slow to build back up. The weight melted off last spring when I used it so maybe that will happen again.

No comments: